Fishing Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Unknown Lake - Total Firearms Holt/Mason  (Read 2813 times)

alleymad

• Moderators
  • Master Angler
    • View Profile
    • Spartan Toyota
Unknown Lake - Total Firearms Holt/Mason
« on: July 15, 2013, 04:12:57 PM »

So, I was at Dick's buying some line and had a little conversation with the guy at the gun counter.  He saw me with line and we started chatting about fishing.  He kind of raised his eyebrows and lowered his voice and said "want to know where you NEED to go fishing?"  Obviously, I said yeah...

Apparently, he used to work at Total Firearms out in Holt/Mason on Cedar St.  Unbeknownst to me, there is a huge (like 2.5 mile long) lake all along Cedar St. between the buildings and US 127.  Looked on Google Maps and sure enough, there it was.  I also see there is a BOAT RAMP at Total Firearms.  How could I not know about this?  There are a few pics on Total Firearms website of some kids with fish they caught at some Jr. Fishing Tournament they apparently put on every year (never even knew there was such a thing).  I NEED to go fishing here.  My understanding from the guy at Dick's is that the lake was stocked at some point in the past, but I am not confident of exactly what may be swimming in there.  I know there are bass (and looks like they get fairly healthy from aforementioned pics) but was wondering if any one had any personal experience / information they would be willing to share before I head out there?

Let us know.  Thanks!
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  ~ Henry David Thoreau

I sell cars: http://www.spartantoyota.com/

alleymad

• Moderators
  • Master Angler
    • View Profile
    • Spartan Toyota
Re: Unknown Lake - Total Firearms Holt/Mason
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 10:55:28 AM »

Follow up -

Went and rented a rowboat and took the wife and daughter to this lake for an initial visit on Saturday July 20.

First, the wind was a BEAR, blowing directly out of the north, which was a major pain because the lake runs due north-south.

Second, there are at least two places in this lake with obvious, significant current.

Third, it was HOT and SUNNY.  Not the most conducive weather for fishing.

First tip - if you are using one of the rental boats they have available, make sure you grab an anchor...

Second tip - if you have an electric motor, bring it and hook it up to the rowboat - there are some very interesting places to fish that are virtually impossible to manage without some level of boat control beyond oars because of the current that is going to keep you moving away from where you want to be.

Third tip - it is $10 to launch your own boat, but for $5 more I would recommend just using one they have there.  The ramp doesn't look to be the most friendly - it is really steep and gravel...

The wife and daughter used a combination of minnows and crawlers while I threw an assortment of "tried and true" lures.  It was obvious that the fish have retreated away from the shallows, but to be honest that only means they are like 20 feet off of the shore in this lake because the walls are basically a sheer vertical drop - it goes from about 5 feet deep to over 20 feet deep in about 12 feet as you move away from the bank.

My wife caught a few small bluegills and one gigantic pumpkinseed.  The daughter caught a few small bluegills but was more interested in getting her legs tanned...

I caught several small largemouth on green Yum Dinger and Zoom Super Fluke in Baby Bass.  Fish were biting very lightly and were not very active.  Didn't get a single hit on either a spinner or a crankbait in any color that I threw.

I plan on re-visiting this lake in the not-too-distant future and I think that a drop shot rig is going to be the way to go.  Given the amount of water and the complete lack of any apparent fishing pressure, there has got to be fish of considerable size here - now it is just a matter of catching them...
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  ~ Henry David Thoreau

I sell cars: http://www.spartantoyota.com/

MattDan

• Beginner Fisherman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 02:25:40 PM »

Glad to have the reminder.  I need to go check this out that crazy bulk place out.

Thanks for the follow up. I'm always looking for new places to fish so i think I'll give this spot a visit.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 01:53:14 AM by MattDan »

chuyeekue

• Weekend Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 12:06:55 PM »

Wow that was 4 years ago.....

Neebo

• County Pro Staff
  • Master Angler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 04:32:03 PM »

Glad to have the reminder.  I need to go check that place out.
"Good things come to those who wade."

chuyeekue

• Weekend Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 12:29:30 PM »

Glad to have the reminder.  I need to go check that place out.

All I gotta say is that this place has GIANTS!  Caught my PB there in April.  6.2lbs

Neebo

• County Pro Staff
  • Master Angler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 08:45:36 AM »

Nice!

dan2019

• Beginner Fisherman
  • http://fishmich.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 09:02:39 AM »

Glad to have the reminder.  I need to go check this out crazybulk  place out.

Thanks for the follow up. I'm always looking for new places to fish so i think I'll give this spot a visit.

The spot is amazing, I'm sure you will have a great time once there

Neebo

• County Pro Staff
  • Master Angler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 03:39:00 PM »

Five years and I still haven't made it there...I need to get on my horse.

Facebook Comments