Fishing Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Ice fishing 1/13/18  (Read 471 times)

macaroni

• Master Angler
    • View Profile
Ice fishing 1/13/18
« on: January 13, 2018, 06:28:05 PM »

Went back to the same lake I was at last Saturday, with a little bit better results. Had the lake to myself, if you can believe that. Nailed a beautiful bluegill that was pushing 9" immediately after drilling my first hole at 4:30.  I'll say this, though: that hit was super-light! The line barely moved, yet the bait was inhaled. Action peaked about 15-20 minutes later, with a small crappie and 3 smaller bluegills and a pumpkinseed, all around 6" or so. I ended the night w/a decent 8" bluegill. I also had 3 misses. The party was over by 5:10. I fished another 20 minutes without a bite, which happened last Saturday also. If I'm able to go tomorrow, I'm gonna try to get out a little earlier and leave around 5:15. This particular lake has very dark water, which is why I think I'm better served arriving and leaving earlier. Also, I'm gonna drill at least a couple more holes (I had two tonight). I think I'll get more bites by hopping around a bit more. BTW, 10" of ice.

Macaroni

macaroni

• Master Angler
    • View Profile
Re: Ice fishing 1/13/18
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 10:26:46 PM »

Same lake tonight, 1/14, 6 fish total, one real nice bluegill 9", the rest quite small.

Macaroni

macaroni

• Master Angler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 09:38:28 PM »

Went for an hour after work, same lake. Tried a different part of the lake, caught one decent bluegill and had two misses, but very slow, so moved back to my usual spot. Caught a smaller bluegill about 6 1/2", then got a fat 9" fish after two misses. Not a hit after the big one.

We'll see what this warm up does. It'll make the marshy shoreline inaccessible, so if I go Saturday, I may try a new lake to the west of my house.

Macaroni

Neebo

• County Pro Staff
  • Master Angler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 09:57:26 AM »

I'm thinking with the warm up this weekend, it will be really good fishing.  Hoping to get out Saturday down here.
"Good things come to those who wade."

macaroni

• Master Angler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 10:00:15 PM »

Let me know how you make out, Neebo. If the ice holds, I'm considering (read: I'd like to) heading your way early in February, maybe the 2nd-4th, or Friday the 9th. We'll see. I'd like to try Morrison or Woodard for bluegills/crappies. We'll see how things go. Can you do a weekday morning or late afternoon? I try to avoid the crowds?

Macaroni

Neebo

• County Pro Staff
  • Master Angler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 10:37:45 AM »

I typically work during the week but I may be able to pull it off with some notice.
"Good things come to those who wade."

Facebook Comments