Fishing Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: 4/27 ice report  (Read 181 times)

macaroni

• Tournament Angler
    • View Profile
4/27 ice report
« on: April 28, 2018, 08:33:03 PM »

Hello! Just got home from Munising, bringing my wife and daughter home after there week's vacation at my in-laws. I made it out on Munising Bay at Sand Point with a buddy. We had the place to ourselves. The ice has definitely deteriorated in quality since last week, but I had no qualms about going out. The shoreline was the biggest problem, as there was only a 30' wide area of ice connected to shore. The wind was blowing toward shore though, so I knew it'd be OK. Anyway, on to the fishing. We were in 55' of water. I had two bites in three hours. The first happened as I reeled up my line to make sure my single salmon egg was still on. I'll bet he followed it 20' off the bottom before hitting. I didn't even really feel the hit; my rod just bent. It was a sub-legal 10" splake that I quickly released. After I released it, I noticed something squirming on the icethat the fish had regurgitated; it was a scud. Kinda cool; I'd never seen one of those before. An hour later, my buddy said he spotted a fish on his Vexilar. Roughly 30 seconds later, I hooked and landed a 15" splake. That was it. Not great, but I thought it was pretty cool to be able to ice fish this late. I'm sure the ice was fine today, as it was cold overnight and only hit the mid-30s today, but it'll be 55-60 tomorrow and low 70s early next week.

Time to break out the boats (finally!).

Macaroni

Neebo

• County Pro Staff
  • Master Angler
    • View Profile
Re: 4/27 ice report
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 09:37:32 PM »

Any splake is better than none.
"Good things come to those who wade."

Facebook Comments