Fishing Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Grand River - 6/11/2017 - Lyons area  (Read 89 times)

alleymad

• Moderators
  • Master Angler
    • View Profile
    • MJMA Legal Solutions, PLLC
Grand River - 6/11/2017 - Lyons area
« on: June 12, 2017, 11:59:45 AM »

Spent the entire day from about noon until after dark fishing.

Got a fat female smallmouth on a blue / white lipless crankbait just crawled along the bottom.  Only fish I caught in all that time on anything artificial.

Ran through 45 nightcrawlers and a dozen leeches.  Caught a ton of smallmouth, including a nice one about 19" that resulted in my phone going for a swim, which is why no pics...

Got 3 catfish, best one was maybe 4 pounds or so.

Two walleye, both about 15" - wasn't keeping them so I didn't measure them.

Caught some poison ivy on my legs.  I think of that as a bonus...

1/2 ounce dipsy sinker, bead, barrel swivel, 10" fluoro leader to size 4 hook.  I did experiment with longer leaders, but it produced no increase in either number or quality of bites, and kept resulting in me getting hung up.  It appears as if there is a branch in one of the holes I fish that has a gob of line around it as I was struggling to drift my bait with getting hung up in it.

For as low as the flow is volume-wise, the current downstream from where the dam used to be in Lyons is higher than it was when the dam was in place.  Which is why I am having to use the 1/2 ounce sinkers - last year at these flows I was tossing 1/8 ounce sinkers, but those are just getting washed up to the bank and snagged still, even when I am using my long steelhead rod to manage the line and current.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  ~ Henry David Thoreau

http://www.mjmalegalsolutions.com/

Neebo

• County Pro Staff
  • Master Angler
    • View Profile
Re: Grand River - 6/11/2017 - Lyons area
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 02:29:19 PM »

I went out Saturday and had 3 cats break me off.  Landed 4 more all within an hour.  Bite really turned on around 8:30.  Just letting some stinkbait sit.  Probably gonna head out tonight for a bit.  On a side note, I caught my first bass on a topwater frog at the park the other day.  Smallies are definately active.  Sucks about the phone.
"Good things come to those who wade."

alleymad

• Moderators
  • Master Angler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 06:15:12 PM »

I had some big chubs soaking for quite a while and didn't get anything to hit on them - I was hoping Catfish Hunter was back in his home from a few days ago...

All of the channel cats seem to be extra feisty right now.  I swore that the 4 pounder was going to be 20 until I saw it...
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Neebo

• County Pro Staff
  • Master Angler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 09:34:07 AM »

I thought the same thing.  Caught a couple 3-4 lbers last night and the fought hard.  Bite was a lot slower last night that on Saturday but still good and I was able to put a couple eaters in the freezer.  I just used dip bait.  Not sure the fish I caught could have swallowed a chub.  I did see a couple huge gar swimming around and chasing fish so that may have been why the bite slowed.
"Good things come to those who wade."

alleymad

• Moderators
  • Master Angler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 09:03:53 AM »

The wife and I did well yesterday at Hazel Devore Park.  Used every crawler that we brought again.  Lots of bass and a couple small cats.

Also ended up with 5 nice walleye.  Probably missed twice as many more because they were biting so light.

1/4 ounce sinker was letting the drift bounce off the bottom nicely.

My poison ivy is epic...

Facebook Comments