Fishing Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Ice Report?  (Read 527 times)

Neebo

• County Pro Staff
  • Master Angler
    • View Profile
Ice Report?
« on: December 19, 2017, 09:49:15 AM »

Hey all.  Anyone found any safe ice yet?  I am assuming not but it's worth a shot. 
"Good things come to those who wade."

macaroni

• Master Angler
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Report?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 09:20:28 AM »

Hey Neebo,

It's been awhile since I checked this site, obviously because of the cold putting the river guys on the sidelines. You've probably answered this question for yourself by now, but yes, guys are fishing. Saw 3 portables on White Lake here in Highland yesterday. I was thinking of going after work on Wednesday, but may wait until Saturday or Sunday. I've been wondering, in your opinion, is Woodward Lake worth trying? My nephew lives in Ionia and I go w/him once in awhile. I'll let you know when/if I get over there and will hook up w/you if our schedules work out. I have a lot of vacation time, and like to fish on weekdays whenever I can. Don't know if that works for you. I'd like to fish Jordan Lake, as in the past I've done well there. Have you tried that one?

Happy New Year!

Macaroni

Neebo

• County Pro Staff
  • Master Angler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 08:57:45 AM »

Hey Mac!  Woodard is a great gill lake.  I know a couple good spots through the ice.  My wife's uncle lives across the road from the launch there.  As far as Jordan goes, I grew up in Lake Odessa so I guess you could say it's my "home lake" although I haven't fished it much in the last couple years (maybe a handfull of times). I still know where to fish.  I would say, depending on what you are looking to catch, Morrison lake is better as is Sessions.  Morrison has crappie, walleye, and a good perch population.  Sessions has walleye and catfish as well as perch and panfish.  Woodard has some stunted walleye and a lot of gill.  Jordan has gill and bass.  I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan has some predatory fish other than bass but I've never caught one.  Let me know when you are up and I will see what I can do.  I am hoping to be on Morrison or sessions on saturday.

macaroni

• Master Angler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 06:28:18 PM »

Will do!

Neebo

• County Pro Staff
  • Master Angler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 07:58:21 PM »

Morrison had 6-7 inches Saturday. Went with rsa420. Took a few small perch and a couple nice gills. It was really cold come nightfall and the fish shut off but a good first outing.

macaroni

• Master Angler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 09:47:55 PM »

Thanks for the report. I do wonder if a warm up will get them going. Does warmer air really do that with water that's already cold? I'd like your thoughts on that. I've had plenty of good days in very cold weather in the past, but if your experience was like mine, the bites I got were extremely light. It seemed for me that the window of fish activity was very small. I'm thinking that the persistent high pressure might have had something to do w/the slowness. I do think that with the coming warm-up, their may be some melt water that makes its way into our lakes that could replenish the oxygen levels and jump-start the fish.

Really glad you guys got out. Looking forward to next weekend!

Macaroni

Neebo

• County Pro Staff
  • Master Angler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 10:31:31 AM »

It absolutely will effect the fish under the ice.  The ice will insulate to an extent but water temps still drop.  Warmer days will push fish higher in the column and colder days will have them in deeper water.  Probably doesn't help with it still kind of being first ice conditions.  Fish seem to always be skiddish for the first month or so with people walking above them.  We marked a few fish on my marcum that disappeared when someone walked around by us.

macaroni

• Master Angler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 08:00:27 PM »

Very good information, Neebo; thank you. Funny what you said about walking on the ice spooking the fish: on my first hit on Saturday that I lost half way up, I was actually coming back from opening another hole when I noticed my line was crooked, like a fish had pulled it to the side. I know I have a sharp hook, and was surprised that I lost him, and I remember thinking, "I wonder if he was letting go of the bait when I set the hook."

Macaroni

macaroni

• Master Angler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 06:17:46 PM »

Neebo, have you been out? I sent you a message last night; check 'er out when you get a chance.

Macaroni

Facebook Comments