Fishing Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Pike fishing with live minnows  (Read 1143 times)

GuitarTab

• County Pro Staff
  • Master Angler
    • View Profile
    • Off The Ledge
Pike fishing with live minnows
« on: November 24, 2015, 11:44:03 PM »

Here is the set up that works well for me.

My rods are mostly all rigged with braided line so the first thing I do is attach a flurocarbon leader using a double uni knot. I use 12 lb flurocarbon as it is light enough to be subtle but heavy enough to take a beating from pike teeth. I have landed big pike on flurocarbon and have seen the line quite frayed from their teeth but intact. Using a steal leader I never get bit and with straight braid bites are few
And far between. I do occasionally loose a fish cause of the flurocarbon but the last time I did i Caught the same fish 20 minutes later and got my hook back. I also like braided main line for this application because it floats and is easy to see so I can control the slack in the line even on a windy day. Also knowing where the line is I can work a crank bait or spinner or second rod with a shiner without getting tangled.

The type of bobber isn't important as long as you can see it and you use the right weight so the fish doesn't feel resistance when it runs with the bait. Pike will sometimes play with the bait for up to several minutes before running with it. Sometimes they will rip the pole right off a rod holder too. The key is to not set the hook too soon. I'll see a bobber change directions In The wind, stop moving in the current, the tip may just lean to the side or just sit lower in the water and those are signs a fish has the bait but unless a minute or 2 has gone by I don't set the hook until the bobber goes under. Ive lost too many fish setting it too soon. I've seen the shiner Swim in circles trying to get away from the predictor or even jump out of the water. This is usually where i sit back and wait knowing moments later the bobber will drop.

The single most important thing is to use a gamakastu octopus circle hook size 4 (give or take depending on the bait size and your preference) so when the bobber goes under all You have to do is tighten the line and gently lift the rod tip. The hook will hook in the corner of the mouth where teeth are least likely to cut the line. Also if you keep the rod tip high the line will often loop behind the pikes lower jaw witch keeps it out of reach of the teeth. Then with very light drag the battle can commence.

The best way to hook a shiner is to put the hook in its mouth then come up straight through its forehead. This way it won't fling off when you cast it and it will
Stay alive for quite a while.

I like to put my split shot up near the bobber and leave the shiner to swim where it pleases. This creates a more natural un disrupted appearance.

I typicaly am fishing slow current areas or back waters and eddies where the bait can move very slow or not at all. In fast water your just as well off drifting a suspending crank bait or tossing a rattle trap. This technique is great for finicky fish and works year round but really shines in late fall and winter. And is an awesome technique for bass, walleye and other predatory fish as well so you can't go wrong.

I an to put together a
Video for this in the next few months. I'll upload that when I get a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Michigan made musician and fishing enthusiast.

wolfcub

• Avid Fisherman
    • View Profile
Re: Pike fishing with live minnows
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 09:29:33 PM »

yeah....fishing,  with minnows is a ton of fun  my buddy and I hook them through the sides so the hook goes under the spine by the dorsal fin......we also lost a few fish flying off the hook when casting....the biggest challenge is keeping bait alive if you fish from shore

especially in warm weather. on a boat, you can put them in a livewell or a wire minnow basket ---hanging over the side..  but yes you catch a LOT of different fish on them...

alleymad

• Moderators
  • Master Angler
    • View Profile
    • Spartan Toyota
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 09:57:10 AM »

Good stuff.

Hooking the minnow in the back works fine in a lake, but in a river, even a slack water area, a minnow hooked in the back will die sooner than one hooked in the head.  They drown or suffocate or whatever it is when a fish dies underwater from lack of oxygen...  If you hook them through the head they can move around to keep water running over their gills
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  ~ Henry David Thoreau

I sell cars: http://www.spartantoyota.com/

Rockbasswrangler

• Weekend Warrior
  • http://fishmich.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 06:33:28 PM »

My rods are mostly all rigged with braided line so the first thing I do is attach a flurocarbon leader using a double uni knot. I use 12 lb flurocarbon as it is light enough to be subtle but heavy enough to take a beating from pike teeth. I have landed big pike on flurocarbon and have seen the line quite frayed from their teeth but intact. Using a steal leader I never get bit and with straight braid bites are few
And far between. I do occasionally loose a fish cause of the flurocarbon but the last time I did i Caught the same fish 20 minutes later and got my hook back. I also like braided main line for this application because it floats and is easy to see so I can control the slack in the line even on a windy day. Also knowing where the line is I can work a crank bait or spinner or second rod with a shiner without getting tangled.

The type of bobber isn't important as long as you can see it and you use the right weight so the fish doesn't feel resistance when it runs with the bait. Pike will sometimes play with the bait for up to several minutes before running with it. Sometimes they will rip the pole right off a rod holder too. The key is to not set the hook too soon. I'll see a bobber change directions In The wind, stop moving in the current, the tip may just lean to the side or just sit lower in the water and those are signs a fish has the bait but unless a minute or 2 has gone by I don't set the hook until the bobber goes under. Ive lost too many fish setting it too soon. I've seen the shiner Swim in circles trying to get away from the predictor or even jump out of the water. This is usually where i sit back and wait knowing moments later the bobber will drop.

The single most important thing is to use a gamakastu octopus circle hook size 4 (give or take depending on the bait size and your preference) so when the bobber goes under all You have to do is tighten the line and gently lift the rod tip. The hook will hook in the corner of the mouth where teeth are least likely to cut the line. Also if you keep the rod tip high the line will often loop behind the pikes lower jaw witch keeps it out of reach of the teeth. Then with very light drag the battle can commence.

The best way to hook a shiner is to put the hook in its mouth then come up straight through its forehead. This way it won't fling off when you cast it and it will

I like to put my split shot up near the bobber and leave the shiner to swim where it pleases. This creates a more natural un disrupted appearance.

I typicaly am fishing slow current areas or back waters and eddies where the bait can move very slow or not at all. In fast water your just as well off drifting a suspending crank bait or tossing a rattle trap. This technique is great for finicky fish and works year round but really shines in late fall and winter. And is an awesome technique for bass, walleye and other predatory fish as well so you can't go wrong.

I an to put together a

Yes! Slight variations of the exact method is my absolute favorite way to fish! I think I'll takevyour lead though and drop down to 12#flouro. Used 25 this year which most other fish will bite but did catch as many pike this year and I was already thinking this was why.

alleymad

• Moderators
  • Master Angler
    • View Profile
    • Spartan Toyota
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 08:45:57 PM »

A tweak for walleye -

Don't think that walleye are the world's most finicky line shy fish.  I have discovered this year that when fish are lethargic or non-aggressive, either because of water temp (either too hot or too cold) or an over-abundance of forage, a short leader will out produce a longer one.

Sluggish fish will swipe and miss bait a lot, and a minnow on a lead that is over about a foot long can escape them and they will not follow often.  But, if the minnow can only move a couple of inches, that same non-pursuing fish can get two three or more swipes at the bait without exerting significantly more effort.

Kind of un-related, but right now I am getting walleye and 6" leaders or less to 1/2 ounce sinkers - I know that those fish can see that sinker, but they don't seem to mind, because their laziness is trumping their concern about the sinker.

Got interested in this theory by watching videos of a guy who fed a camera down his line to the sinker - the fish would bite with the camera less than a foot away from the bait...

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."  ~ Henry David Thoreau

I sell cars: http://www.spartantoyota.com/

Ranger.JR

• Beginner Fisherman
  • http://fishmich.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 12:44:33 AM »

I an to put together a

Yes! Slight variations of the exact method is my absolute favorite way to fish! I think I'll takevyour lead though and drop down to 12#flouro. Used 25 this year which most other fish will bite but did catch as many pike this year and I was already thinking this was why.
Interesting

GuitarTab

• County Pro Staff
  • Master Angler
    • View Profile
    • Off The Ledge
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 10:53:15 PM »

:) I want one of those cameras...

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Michigan made musician and fishing enthusiast.